3.05.2012

RS

I'm speaking tomorrow at our Relief Society Birthday Party. They told me the evening is all about celebrating the sisters...for all that they do. It has reminded me that the purpose of Relief Society is so important. With an organization that spends all of its efforts on helping others - what's not to love? 


For my talk, I've gathered several stories about Relief Society sisters around the world, some simple and others that are not. It's amazing to realize how even small acts of kindness or service can really mean a lot to another person.


I won't bore you with my entire talk, but I did want to share with you one portion:



Deb Barry
Kosovo
During the war, one of the first shipments to arrive in Kosovo was the shipment of quilts and hygiene kits. It was wonderful to be able to see so many of those items in the homes of the families who had lost everything. Families were blessed to be able to brush their teeth, wash their hands, and reduce the risk of infections as they worked at rebuilding their homes and burying their dead.

When assembling kits, it seems like such a simple thing. But to see the joy on a persons face when they are able to feel clean and a bit normal is overwhelming. It makes you realize just how important each and every one of those kits are.

The families I knew in Kosova were so excited when news spread that the blankets had come from the church that I belonged to.


As written in the Church News

Months later as Sister Barry was preparing to leave Kosovo two women from Sister Udall's class approached her.

"Will you be going to your church next Sunday?" they asked.
Sister Barry assured them that she would.
"It would be wonderful," one said, "if when you go there, you would thank the people for remembering us in our time of need."
Sister Barry nodded and promised she would. It would be her pleasure to share with her {6 million} sisters that the words, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," are spoken in Kosovo with love and affection.

In the book, “Daughters of My Kingdom” we read


“During Christ’s time on earth, He told stories of women engaged in ordinary activities. He demonstrated deep familiarity with women’s lives and drew timeless gospel lessons from their everyday experiences. He forgave them. He wept with them. He had compassion on them in their specific circumstances as daughters, wives, homemakers, mothers, and widows. He appreciated them and ennobled them.” (Daughters of my Kindom, pg. 3)
Imagine that, Christ drew lessons from women and their everyday experiences. Often, we may think it’s only the enormous acts of service or the life altering experiences that build up those we serve. However, Christ taught us differently. He cares deeply about the little things - the things that make up our everyday life. The things YOU are doing EVERY DAY!  


Thank you all for being great examples to me & for all that you do. I love you!

1 comment:

  1. I love this...I would love to read the entire talk, and could you get a copy of the intro...that ought to be published on this blog for sure! Seriously though, I think you are very qualified to be giving this talk (more than anyone I know)-and they are lucky to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete