12.07.2011

Gingerbread Houses


One of my favorite memories since Darin and I have been married - is making Gingerbread houses in Pine Valley. I searched for pictures of that weekend, but can't seem to find them. Dang. Mom Michelle had gone to a lot of work to make pretty substantial gingerbread houses for each couple. Several batches of royal icing later and bags and bags of candy - and we had some award winning gingerbread houses on our hands. Okay, not really - but I thought they were pretty impressive.

I was mostly impressed because we'd always just used gingerbread kits from the store growing up - and after today - I know why.

You all probably know I follow hundreds of blogs and pin on Pinterest so my head is inundated with ideas on a daily basis. I kept seeing fun gingerbread activities and projects and decided I'd go the easy route, and make some gingerbread houses out of the graham crackers I had in my pantry today. We have company coming into town this weekend, and I thought it'd be a fun activity to do with the kids - and even better if the houses were already put together.

I made two batches of royal icing, and I'm still not sure I got it right. My houses are lopsided and who knows if they'll stay put. I guess it doesn't really matter, but this is one of those annual activities I'd like to become a little better at. If anyone has tips, send them my way. And, I vote for another gingerbread house making Pine Valley weekend. Maybe I could get some pointers from Michelle then?

I can't wait to decorate our little houses. Isn't that always the best part? In the meantime, here are some fun Gingerbread links.


Now, I'm off to bed. I'm working the morning shift tomorrow and 3 AM comes early. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Court these are so cute! Did you end up decorating them today?

    ReplyDelete