12.22.2011

Pertussis ... the Whooping Cough

Today I paid a visit to the Health Department to get a TDAP booster shot. Linley is current on hers, and Darin got it before we went to China a few years ago, but I was pregnant so I never got it. A few months ago, the vaccine became acceptable for pregnant women to get. If not, I would have gotten it right after I delivered just to protect the baby.

Earlier this week I read this article about the record number of Pertussis cases in Utah County, and decided I needed to find out more about the vaccine, especially because it can be fatal for babies who don't get the vaccine until 2 months. And last year, I read about the heartbreaking death of Baby Gavin here

If you don't know about Pertussis, or if you're not sure you're up on immunizations or boosters - read up. There's lots of info on the web. I know immunizations are a highly debated topic right now - but I thought I'd at least pass on this info.


No comments:

Post a Comment