8.09.2011

A few thoughts...

At church on Sunday I sat out in the foyer during Sacrament meeting because Annabel has turned over a new naughty-leaf at church. Luckily I was still able to hear some really powerful testimonies. One woman spoke about her son who found out he had a brain tumor but refused to allow his father to give him a priesthood blessing and how difficult it was for her to see the choices her son was making. Toward the end I started talking to a girl named Jenny who was out with her three year old daughter. Jenny and her husband have been members of the church for a year now, and are active along with their two daughters, ages three and four. I asked Jenny about her conversion and she told me that she has been a highschool teacher here in Vegas for four years. One day while speaking with one of her favorite students, the student mentioned that she was LDS, and explained what that meant. After thinking about that Jenny asked this student about several other of her favorite students over the years, and that student confirmed that every one of them were LDS. When the Elders knocked on Jenny's door she told them that she would let them in because "your church raises good kids". She told me that the difference she noticed in the students who were LDS was that they were okay with themselves, they knew who they were, and they weren't afraid to go against the crowd. That they just seemed to be "okay". I have been thinking about this conversation I had with Jenny and how truly amazing this story is. Because of the influence of a handful of LDS highschool students, an entire family was brought into the church. These students had no idea what an influence and difference they made in not just one life, but an entire family along with future posterity. Maybe its the missionary in me, but this story is pretty incredible!
Lately I've been reading the New Testament. I'm always amazed at how Christ has to continue to remind his disciples to have faith. Amazed until I look at myself and how easily my faith fails. If we truly had faith we would worry about nothing, but go forth believing that all things are in the hands God and we have no control. We would do all we could, then turn it over to the Lord and trust that His will may be done. It is so difficult for me. I have been focused so much on my children, especially Breckon lately. He is going through some really fun and wonderful stages, but at the same time I spend half of my day reminding, convincing, threatening and discipling him. It is exhausting and by the end of the day I have just about had all I can take. It is a huge relief when my kids are in bed and I can have some peace. I spend a lot of time worrying, praying and preparing my children to be faithful, successful children, teens and adults. Lately I have felt so much peace realizing that when all I do is not enough, the Lord will do the rest. But ultimately my children get to choose for themselves, and while difficult, this is part of the gift Christ gave to us. Looking back on my own life I often wish I could go back and choose differently. But ultimately I did choose right, and I strive to continue making good choices each day. I know that my children aren't going to be perfect and while I wish I could save them from the pain of making mistakes, recovering from those mistakes is part of what makes living the gospel so sweet. We cannot change the past, but we can look forward to a better future.
What do you think girls, a little deep for a Tuesday?
Lacey

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this. Thanks for sharing. Great reminders, thanks lace!

    ReplyDelete