8.15.2011

The Help


Last Wednesday night I went with my mom and a couple of friends to see The Help. I think by this point most of you have read the book and possibly seen the movie? I loved both of them both and if you aren't familiar with them, I would highly suggest reading the book and then seeing the movie. It's a book you'll never forget. It will possibly change you or at the very least make you really think. 

I found a few of the book club questions online and thought I would ask all of you to choose one (or more) to answer in the "comments" section. I'd love to hear your thoughts! Some of my thoughts are below. Thank you in advance for sharing!
  1. Which characters did you find most likable and sympathetic?
  2. To what extent do you think a person's flaws, such as racist attitudes and behaviors, can be forgiven because it is the norm in the surrounding culture?
  3. Could you sympathize with Miss Hilly? Do you think it is possible to be a good mother despite deep character flaws?
  4. What motivated Aibileen?
  5. What did you think about Minny's revenge?
  6. How much do you think the dynamics of relationships between black people and white people have changed?

2 comments:

  1. 3. It's hard for me to sympathize with Miss Hilly. However, I think she could definitely be a great mother even with her uneducated and very shallow life. I thought about the during the movie as I watched her with her children. Very different than the way that Miss Elizabeth treated her little girl, which is maybe why it stood out to me so much. She was loving, surprisingly, and it was good to see. For me, it was the only part of her that I didn't hate.

    4. I think sadness and pure love for her son and all of the children that she raised motivated her. Those women who worked for the white families must have had so much love - to take those children into their hearts knowing that one day they may turn against them. Aibileen's son meant everything to her and it seemed like she wanted to break through the sadness to succeed for both of them. What great character and courage she had.

    5. It was terrible - terrible to do to anybody even someone as ridiculous as Miss Hilly. However, I think it saved them. It's all they had to laugh about and hold on to during the fear of getting caught! It made for some good laughs during the movie also!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacey is having a hard time posting a comment on her computer, so she asked me to post it for her:

    2. It is difficult for me to imagine that I would have been okay with the prejudice "norm" of our society during this time period (and this wasn't even very long ago). I remember as a young girl, feeling angry and upset when I had a family member (extended family member) who made racist comments often. I also remember the first time I dared stand up to him, I think I was about fourteen (and he was quite a bit older). I wonder how many people knew deep down what was going on was wrong, but were afraid to say anything. I would like to think I would be willing to stand up for another person...regardless of social norms and pressures.

    ReplyDelete