9.05.2011

Millions of Peaches...

We love it around here at this time of year when peaches pop up for sale on every corner. Saturday I got a box of peaches from my mom and they weren't going to be good for much longer so I got to work. I thought I would share with you some of the things I've done or plan to do with peaches this time of year!

  • PEACH JAM: I made some peach jam a couple of days ago and last year I made raspberry peach - yummy!
  • PEACHES AND MILK: For as long as I can remember fresh peaches with milk and a little granulated sugar has been one of my favorite treats. 
  • PEACH SYRUP: If you like cinnamon, try this recipe. If not, we like to use the peach jam instead syrup. 
  • PEACH SHAKE: A cup and a half of fresh peaches, ice cream, and a little bit of milk makes a great shake. Add a few slices of strawberries for a little variety!
  • PEACH SMOOTHIE: I haven't made a smoothie yet this season, but I'm going to make one in the morning for Spencer before his first day of school. I plan on including fresh sliced peaches, a little milk, ice, strawberries, and spinach. I also froze some sliced peaches to use another time. 
  • FROSTED FLAKES WITH FRESH PEACHES: Frosted Flakes are on my "do not eat" list, but if it's not on yours go ahead and try some fresh sliced peaches with your Frosted Flakes. I'm pretty sure it doesn't get any better than that!
  • PEACH PIE: I'm not much of a pie eater or maker, but if you have a good recipe please leave it in the comments below. 
  • BRIGHAM CITY PEACH COBBLER: I made this recipe below for Sunday dinner yesterday, it was delicious.  
BRIGHAM CITY PEACH COBBLER
From The Essential Mormon Cookbook
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 T cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1 tsp almond extract (I used vanilla because I don't always love almond flavor...)
4 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
1 T lemon juice
1 T butter
1 cup flour
2 T sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
Ice Cream or whipped topping (optional)

For filling, in a large saucepan combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add almond extract. Stir in peaches, lemon juice, and the 1 tablespoon butter: heat through and keep warm while preparing topping.

For topping, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a separate bowl combine egg and milk: add all at once to flour mixtrue, stirring just to moisten. Turn hot filling into a greased 1 1/2 to 2 quart casserole. Immediately spoon on topping in 6 mounds. Bake at 400 degrees F. for approximately 20 minutes. Makes 6 servings. this recipe also works well with 4 cups fresh raspberries or blackberries, or a combination of raspberries and peaches.

We just got another box of peaches in Brigham City today, so this list may get longer!

4 comments:

  1. Oooh! Yum! Peaches are my favorite! Especially peaches and cream (just a little mixed with milk ha) with nutmeg and vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could get peaches on every corner in St. George. We have to get ours at Costco! Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want me to bring a box of peaches for you when I come in a couple weeks just send your order!

    ReplyDelete