9.13.2011

Preschool & Kindergarten

Well ladies, I have one thing on the brain lately...school! Breckon is going to Kindergarten each day, and Sadie and I do preschool at Smarty Pants twice a week, so I feel like I am immersed in learning! Here are some things I want to share:

Did you know that you can determine your childs developmental level by their artwork? Incredible, I know. For example, a child who scribbles and pretends to be writing things (grocery lists, etc) are entering an important stage of development that leads to reading & writing. Scribbling is to writing what babbling is to talking. Encourage young children to scribble all they want! Fun fact: when your child starts drawing a baseline in their pictures (line under a house, grass or dirt under a flower, ocean under a fish) they are developmentally ready to read!

A fun game I learned from Mandi to do with young children and teach them their numbers: Label plastic cups, 2-10. Get a pack of playing cards, get rid of face cards, and pass them out among all players. Each player takes a turn drawing a card from their pile and placing it in the cup with the matching number. So simple, and easy, but so much fun for kids!

I found these fun exercise alphabet cards. Print them and play with your kids, they'll love it! There's nothing better than learning the alphabets and their sounds while getting some exercise.

Breckon is beginning to learn sight words. We have been playing games to practice, and writing on the sliding glass door with white board markers. He loves writing them somewhere other than at the table with a pencil and paper. Here are his sight words if any of you want to join: a, the, and, of, you, to, is, in. Some of these are tough because he can't sound them out, so we are really working on memorization!

I hope some of you willl try some of these things and let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment